I'm looking for a word that describes a person who is extremely dismissive and unopen to ideas or comments.


feeling or showing that something is unworthy of consideration

For example,

Tom: 'Get your table organised! It's so-'

Jack: 'Shush, bring your comments somewhere else.'

  • 1
    "Arrogant" (feeling superiority toward others) or "cocksure" (too sure, overconfident) are possibilities.
    – Graffito
    Commented Sep 29, 2015 at 21:43

7 Answers 7


My favourite approximant for the word in question is disdainful.

Oxford Languages defines it as follows:

disdainful /dɪsˈdeɪnf(ʊ)l/ adjective

showing contempt or lack of respect.

"with a last disdainful look, she turned towards the door"

A close second will be the word contemptuous.

contemptuous /kənˈtɛm(p)tʃʊəs/ adjective

showing contempt; scornful.

"she was intolerant and contemptuous of the majority of the human race"

However, I feel the word parochial has a stronger sense of being close-minded than these words.

parochial /pəˈrəʊkɪəl/adjective

having a limited or narrow outlook or scope.

"parochial attitudes"


I think narrow-minded may fit your context:

  • lacking tolerance, breadth of view,
  • having a biased or illiberal viewpoint; bigoted, intolerant, or prejudiced

The Free Dictionary

  • Yep. another good word similar to that one is "myopic" en.wiktionary.org/wiki/myopic
    – shaunxer
    Commented Sep 29, 2015 at 20:10
  • A bit of your own words explaining why you think this would improve this answer. Just citing a dictionary isn’t all that useful.
    – tchrist
    Commented Oct 3, 2015 at 15:07

I’d suggest close-minded, which is similar to narrow-minded but has more of the flavor of stubbornness. You might also consider inflexible and even pigheaded.


Naysayer or resister: Someone with an aggressively negative attitude. -- WordWeb


I believe condescending is the correct word.

  • Why do you feel that way? Please use your own words to explain.
    – tchrist
    Commented Oct 3, 2015 at 15:04
  • I use condescending because in the example used, Jack's attempt at answering the question was brushed aside in a condescending manner. His answer was not required, it was dismissed out of hand in a way that demonstrates Tom's feeling of superiority.
    – Jaimsy
    Commented Oct 11, 2015 at 19:22

Perhaps derisive,

expressing or causing contemptuous ridicule or scorn : expressing or causing derision (Merriam-Webster)

Or maybe scornful,

showing or feeling scorn for someone or something (Cambridge)

full of scorn : CONTEMPTUOUS (Merriam-Webster)


In the context of the example you have given, I would suggest flippant.

  • Why would you suggest that? Please use your own words to supply a supporting argument. One-word answers that merely cite dictionaries or have no supporting text are not answers at all.
    – tchrist
    Commented Oct 3, 2015 at 15:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.