Turning a phrase negative (e.g. goodnot good, and a questionnot a question) is called negation. One can say "I negated the phrase".

What is the act of turning a phrase into its opposite (e.g. goodbad and a questionan answer) called? I'd like to say "I ×'d the phrase."

A gerund sounds forced. "Oppositeing"? "Oppositising"? "Oppositeifying?" Maybe I'm getting too fixed on conjugating "opposite".

  • 2
    Negation can be observed, and precisely defined. "Opposite", on the other hand, is a very vague term; most terms have several dimensions in which they oppose other terms, and there is no special term for it. No reason to have a technical term for something that's not technical. Commented Sep 27, 2015 at 21:11

2 Answers 2


You have to use a phrase in this case. "Change something to/into antonym" or "convert something to/into antonym".

There is no single verb that can describe it.


I went with inversion: “I inverted the phrase.

This may not be the technical term, but it is very descriptive in context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.