Some of the desktop wallpapers I have are photographs and some of them are "non-photographic"; meaning they are not the product of a camera,but are instead the product of someone "drawing with a computer" or "generating graphics using a computer".

Is there a term that means what I'm trying to say besides "non-photographic"? I'd like to tag all my wallpapers (that are not photos) with the correct term.

UPDATE: I decided to label these wallpaper: "CGI" (which is an abbreviation for: Computer Generated Imagery). Ultimately, I concluded it is better to label something by "what it is" than by "what it is not".



From MW dictionary:

synthetic: devised, arranged, or fabricated for special situations to imitate or replace usual realities; factitious

factitious: produced by humans rather than by natural forces


I would personally tag such images as illustrations. Should you wish to be more specific, you might consider tagging them as digital illustrations.

  • To me, "illustration" seems too instructional-sounding on first thought. It makes me think of a diagram more than an artistic wallpaper that is not a photo. – Lonnie Best Sep 25 '15 at 18:03

You might call it computer-generated unless you think that it might undermine the creative work involved because computer-generated sometimes refers to something that is an end result of being processed by a computer and requires no effort by an artist (other than waiting for the render to complete).

In that case you may simply refer to it as digital artwork.

  • I don't disagree with the term digital artwork, but the term seems ambiguous to me in this context. The vast majority of photographs in the linked album have been heavily altered via digital tools. – Sculper Sep 25 '15 at 18:09
  • @Sculper : You are probably correct that even the photos have been modified to some extent with computers, but I'm specifically interested in tagging the images that don't seemingly have any elements of photography in them. – Lonnie Best Sep 25 '15 at 18:14
  • I think I know what you're getting at. Have you heard of vector graphics?en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics – shaunxer Sep 25 '15 at 18:19
  • @shaunxer Yes, to me "vector graphic" emphasizes that the image can be resized without loss of quality (not so for these wallpapers). Your thoughts about "computer-generated" are keen. "Digital Artwork" doesn't necessarily emphasize the complete absence of photography, though it is the best suggestion so far (to me). – Lonnie Best Sep 25 '15 at 19:28
  • 1
    Here's a term that may be at least a bit better than Digital art- Computer art en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_art – shaunxer Sep 25 '15 at 20:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.