[...] between taller, more impressive architecture, the building looked nondescript.

I'm pretty sure there's a word for that. A word that has hide and surround mixed together. The only word I can think of is enveloped, but enveloped between buildings sounds strange.

Any suggestions?

  • 'Embedded'. "Embedded among taller, more impressive buildings..." or "Embedded in taller, more impressive architecture...". 'Enveloped' also sounds fine to me, changing 'between' to 'in' for "architecture", or to 'by' for "buildings".
    – JEL
    Sep 25 '15 at 5:42
  • Another option is engulfed: (often passive) to overwhelm: engulfed by the impressive achitecture thefreedictionary.com/engulfed
    – user66974
    Sep 25 '15 at 6:44
  • I'm with @JEL I think enveloped works just fine for this. Not that you couldn't use another word if you prefer but I don't think enveloped is out of place. Sep 25 '15 at 15:32

Overshadow comes to mind, for your example.


You have a few choices:

  • Concealed
  • Cucooned
  • Dwarfed
  • Overwhelmed
  • Quelled
  • Smothered
  • Stifled (I personally like this one, feels a bit poetic)
  • Strangled
  • Subdued

Pick one that is closest to the feeling you wish to convey.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.