I read in this website that request should be with that and a clause, not the one with a to-infinitive. In that sense the phrase Request you to send the copy seems to be wrong. If its wrong what would be correct way?

  • The elision of the subject bugs me.
    – Dan Bron
    Sep 22, 2015 at 7:22
  • Generally, you have to request that somebody does something. The version you found is incorrect. At the very least, it needs to be changed to requesting.
    – Adam
    Sep 22, 2015 at 22:00
  • No that does not sound right. You should request that somebody do something.
    – tchrist
    Jul 5, 2016 at 3:50

3 Answers 3


"I request you to send me a copy of the report" is incorrect.

"I request that you send me a copy of the report" is correct.

Request and ask nearly mean the same thing; however, they are not interchangeable as they are used differently.

  • Hi none. I edited your answer to add line breaks. Can you please explain why the first is incorrect and the second is incorrect. The answer isn't very useful as it is.
    – dwjohnston
    Oct 22, 2015 at 22:51

The verb request can be used with a clause to politely ask for something, and with an infinitive to politely ask someone to do something.

Here is a reference to Oxford Dictionaries Online along with a number of usage examples.

1. Politely or formally ask for:
[WITH CLAUSE]: 'The chairman requested that the reports be considered.'

1.1 [WITH INFINITIVE] Politely or formally ask (someone) to do something: 'The letter requested him to report to London.'

I request you to send me a copy of the report is grammatical.


I'm pretty sure you can use (to + infinitive). Not that I have an English degree or something. But I've searched the web and found that it used a lot. Also it doesn't sound wrong at all, and we always use it in our conversations.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.