When several things that are successive go in a series, they are called a homologous series i.e. In Chemistry, there is the homologous series of hydrocarbons e.g. alkanes.

I am trying to state that butane is next in the homologous series for alkanes, so it comes up something like this:

"Butane is the next __ in the series."

What is the word that would fit in the blank?

  • 2
    Alkane, obviously. (^_^) – RegDwigнt May 28 '11 at 8:55
  • Hahaha! I was thinking of that when I was writing it, but that wasn't the word I was looking for. – Thursagen May 28 '11 at 10:18

You almost had it!

homologue (also homolog); noun, technical
a homologous thing.

A search for “next homologue of” on Google links to chemistry test questions and scientific articles, showing that it's the right technical term. Also, I'm a chemist, and that's the term I use.

| improve this answer | |
  • Do you have a word for any other series? – Thursagen May 28 '11 at 10:18

"Butane is the next member of the series."

| improve this answer | |

You do not need another word, e.g. "Butane is the next in the series."

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.