When several things that are successive go in a series, they are called a homologous series i.e. In Chemistry, there is the homologous series of hydrocarbons e.g. alkanes.

I am trying to state that butane is next in the homologous series for alkanes, so it comes up something like this:

"Butane is the next __ in the series."

What is the word that would fit in the blank?

  • 2
    Alkane, obviously. (^_^)
    – RegDwigнt
    Commented May 28, 2011 at 8:55
  • Hahaha! I was thinking of that when I was writing it, but that wasn't the word I was looking for.
    – Thursagen
    Commented May 28, 2011 at 10:18

3 Answers 3


You almost had it!

homologue (also homolog); noun, technical
a homologous thing.

A search for “next homologue of” on Google links to chemistry test questions and scientific articles, showing that it's the right technical term. Also, I'm a chemist, and that's the term I use.

  • Do you have a word for any other series?
    – Thursagen
    Commented May 28, 2011 at 10:18

"Butane is the next member of the series."


You do not need another word, e.g. "Butane is the next in the series."

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.