I'm looking for a word (verb) meaning decorate/embellish too much — in a bad sense — and in particular having the tint of being too much so that something instead of being beautiful becomes fussy and ugly.

10 Answers 10


I don't know of any better single verbs than overdecorate, overornament or overembellish. Bedizen is good if you don't mind obscure. I might be tempted to coin baroquify. Related, possibly useful phrases include to tart [something] up and gilding the lily.

  • I like "bedizen." I'm not sure when I would ever use it, but I like it. I can very easily imagine using "baroquify," but I do like making up words. :) – kitukwfyer May 28 '11 at 0:12
  • 3
    If you're going to coin go with "Rococoinate". – dmckee --- ex-moderator kitten May 28 '11 at 0:32
  • Thanks a lot! I very much liked the idiom gilding the lily; I found the definition here: thefreedictionary.com/gilding+the+lily (bedizen is not exactly what I was looking for). – Pantelis Sopasakis May 28 '11 at 7:52
  • 1
    Note: dictionaries list bedizen as archaic. – Unreason Aug 10 '11 at 9:27
  • @chaos first read that as bedazzled. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jun 19 '12 at 21:52

Adjectivally, you could describe something as baroque:

extravagantly ornate, florid, and convoluted in character or style
from dictionary.com

or florid:

flowery; excessively ornate; showy
from dictionary.com

Verbwise, I can't think of any single word that encompasses that extent of a description, unless you want to go for something like overembellished with an additional phrase to point out how far beyond the pale it's gone: "He had overembellished it to the point that it became a grotesque parody of its potential nature", or "he had embellished it well past the point of baroque floridity."

  • However, do note that baroque is period and style, and as such the extravagance of some of the better works would be considered positive (at least by some; example: Trevi Fountain in Rome) – Unreason Aug 10 '11 at 9:31

How about gaudy?

–adjective, gaud·i·er, gaud·i·est.
1. brilliantly or excessively showy: gaudy plumage.
2. cheaply showy in a tasteless way; flashy.
3. ostentatiously ornamented; garish.

  • I think gaudy is a fine adjective, but the asker is looking for a verb. – John Y May 28 '11 at 14:29
  • Whoops, I missed that. Sorry. – Elemenliation May 28 '11 at 14:56
  • 2
    @John Well then gaudify, obviously. ;) – Matthew Frederick Jun 1 '11 at 14:33
  • The title is "Word for 'decorated too much'," not only a verb. – Yosef Baskin Feb 7 '17 at 21:31

There's actually one word to refer specifically to this. It's "kitsch":

a representation that is excessively sentimental, overdone, or vulgar

  • Also recommended is to look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch to see if the word fits. Note: 1926, from Ger., lit. "gaudy, trash," from dial. kitschen "to smear." – Unreason Aug 10 '11 at 9:20

How about garish?

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

garish adj 1: tastelessly showy; "a flash car"; "a flashy ring"; "garish colors"; "a gaudy costume"; "loud sport shirts"; "a meretricious yet stylish book"; "tawdry ornaments" [syn: {brassy}, {cheap}, {flash}, {flashy}, {garish}, {gaudy}, {gimcrack}, {loud}, {meretricious}, {tacky}, {tatty}, {tawdry}, {trashy}]


I would use the verb "overdo." What exactly has been overdone is usually pretty obvious. Saying something is really overdone usually means it's tacky or overwrought, which I think is what you're looking for.


The word that springs to mind is: Overdecorated.


Make gaudy... over-decorate.

Maybe bedeck


the word you seek is ungapatchka. (it's yiddish)

Urban Dictionary:

a Yiddish word that describes the overly ornate, busy, ridiculously over-decorated, and garnished to the point of distaste.

the clothing looks ungapatchka.

  • Welcome to EL&U. StackExchange seeks definitive answers, and yours would be greatly strengthened by explaining this word. How is it used? Is it in the dictionary? What are some examples of its use? I strongly encourage you to take the site tour and review the help center for additional guidance. – choster Feb 7 '17 at 20:04
  • 1
    The 'patch' part matches the English word 'patch.' Ungepatchka means made into a patchwork, pieced together poorly rather than being of a whole elegant work. – Yosef Baskin Feb 7 '17 at 20:58

Ragged or shabby means unattractive. When a more complex decoration is applied to something it becomes ugly. It doesn't look professionally made.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.