What is a word to refer to the act of a person grabbing onto, and almost manhandling, another person in a non-sexual and non-confrontational manner? For example, how Kirk is grabbing onto Spock? I was thinking of a word similar to grappling. I was also thinking of embrace, but I'm not thinking of so much contact that it would be considered a hug. I'm alright with a phrase if not a single word.

The two extremes would be a handshake and a hug. I am searching for an inbetweener.

  • I want to say this is just a hold. – Adam Sep 18 '15 at 8:35
  • 1
    Clasp? Clutch hold? Squeeze? – WS2 Sep 18 '15 at 8:46
  • What's wrong with "grab"? – Barmar Sep 20 '15 at 3:42

To grasp:

  • To take hold of or seize firmly with the hand, the foot, another body part, or an instrument:

  • To hold with the arms; embrace.



To clap, as in strike or slap someone encouragingly on the back.

> slap (someone) encouragingly on the back or shoulder. "as they parted,
> he clapped Owen on the back" synonyms: slap, strike, hit, smack,
> thump; pat; informal whack, thwack "he clapped Owen on the back"
  • Clasp seems to be a very brief period of touch. I'm looking for something that lasts several seconds, such as how Kirk grabs onto Spock. – Celeritas Sep 19 '15 at 8:06
  • Does "latch onto" get at it? – DJohnson Sep 23 '15 at 10:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.