I'm writing a software for a store and I need to put on a report how much money is received when a customer puts an item on layaway, as well as when a customer cancels the layaway and gets the money back.

I just don't know how to name that reversed process of the item being put back to sale. I need a short sentence to make the report understandable.


Layaways: $459.00
Items back to sale from layaway: $239.00 <-- sentence is too long


  • What about "Canceled Items"? – VampDuc Sep 17 '15 at 20:16
  • 1
    'Canceled items' could also be understood as 'canceled sales'. Maybe 'Canceled layaways' could work. How does it sound? – javorosas Sep 17 '15 at 20:17

"Restock" may work. It's short and punchy, and seems to indicate what you mean.

  • @JavierRosas If this solved your problem, you can click the green tick on the left to indicate that you accept this answer. – Rand al'Thor Sep 17 '15 at 21:36
  • 1
    Restock is not completely precise. If the item was never delivered, but the layaway was canceled, this term fails to capture it. – wallyk Sep 17 '15 at 22:37
  • +1, but to address Wally’s point that “restock[ing]” might imply that the item has actually left the building, perhaps “reshelved [from layaway]” would be clearer. (cc: @JavierRosas ) – Papa Poule Sep 17 '15 at 23:20

How about

Layaways: $459.00  
Canceled layaways: $239.00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.