To pluralise is to make plural, dog becomes dogs, conversely singularise. What is the generic term for such actions? The number of a verb is its singularity or plurality, so perhaps numberise?

Is there a word for the concept or process of pluralisation and singularisation?

  • 1
    Quantify, quantification? Give an example context where you might need such a term. Not as a name for a software entity, because that would be Off Topic. Sep 12, 2015 at 12:34
  • "The student performed well in the test, but incorrectly ____ed the words pence, activity and cappuccino."
    – J.J. Green
    Sep 13, 2015 at 23:17

1 Answer 1


You are referring to the grammatical number:

  • In linguistics, grammatical number is a grammatical category of nouns, pronouns, and adjective and verb agreement that expresses count distinctions (such as "one", "two", or "three or more"). In many languages, including English, the number categories are singular and plural. Some languages also have a dual number or other arrangements.

As a verb I think you can use the expression to decline by number.

To decline:

  • (In the grammar of Latin, Greek, and certain other languages) state the forms of (a noun, pronoun, or adjective) corresponding to cases, number, and gender.


  • 1
    "Inflect for number" would be more common now probably. Sep 12, 2015 at 12:53
  • The phrase that is hypernymic for pluralize and singularize (pardon my American spelling, honestly come by) would be change or alter number. Sep 12, 2015 at 14:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.