I'm trying to write up a specification for a bit of programming, but I'm at a loss on how to actually describe what the, well, things on the map are.

For context, this is a user-generated map that has the ability to have markers (points with icons), routes (lines defined by roads), paths (lines defined as-the-crow-flies), and shapes (circles and polygons).

So, my question is, is there a universal word or term to describe points, lines, and shapes on a map?

  • I was hoping that this page of map terminology might help. Alas, no. – Drew Sep 8 '15 at 17:54
  • Ink? Take the points, lines and shapes off a map and what's going to be left? The fold lines? Could you distinguish what you're including and excluding here a little more exactly please. – candied_orange Sep 8 '15 at 17:58
  • Instinct is to use "markup", but I'm a developer. – cwallenpoole Sep 8 '15 at 18:04
  • "Chart-junk" :-P – cwallenpoole Sep 8 '15 at 18:04
  • @CandiedOrange It's a generated Google Map. Google allows a lot more than I'm offering, but even they don't define everything under an umbrella term. Correction: I believe they actually call them "objects," but I'm afraid that's too broad for the average user, as they won't automatically associate the word with "class." – VampDuc Sep 8 '15 at 18:11

In cartography any object or representation on a map is referred to as a feature. You can be more specific about what feature by adding geometric terms (point, line, polygon) or any number of things before the word feature.

enter image description here

  • The irony is when you style a Google Map, everything is a "feature." I guess I was just staring at it for too long. – VampDuc Sep 9 '15 at 17:31
  • I do it all the time :) – landocalrissian Sep 9 '15 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.