I figured elongate would just mean to "make longer," and would be orientation/dimension dependent. I Googled it just to double check, and a lot of definitions refer to "longer in relation to the width."

What is the term used to mean longer in height? Searching for antonyms for elongate wasn't promising. Could height and width possibly be transposed in the definition?

  • 2
    Never heard of heighten? – RegDwigнt Sep 8 '15 at 13:53
  • 2
    How about embiggen? Works in all contexts and dimensions. – Robusto Sep 8 '15 at 13:54
  • @RegDwigнt I haven't heard of widthen. – Kcvin Sep 8 '15 at 14:01
  • @Robusto is this a valid English word? – Kcvin Sep 8 '15 at 14:02
  • 1
    It's in Wiktionary (en.wiktionary.org/wiki/embiggen). But mainly I was making a joke. The word comes from the TV comedy The Simpsons. – Robusto Sep 8 '15 at 14:04

'elongate' the verb does mean 'make longer'

What you have found is the adjective. It is similar in form to oblate and prolate (and indeed accurate).

Note that the definitions I have found with a quick online dictionary search seem to favour 'long in proportion to width' or similar, e.g.

elongate - having a ​shape that is much ​longer than it is ​wide:

Cambridge Dictionaries Online

Therefore, if I understand you correctly, you can use it for your purposes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.