In British English I think these two words have different shades of meaning, but I couldn't articulate them. In American English I see inquire used where I would use "enquire".

Are there shades of meaning in British English?

Do they exist in American English?

  • I am convinced the difference was creating by grammatical fanatics trying to ret-con two meanings rather than have two acceptable spellings for a word: one having French (en-) and the other being Latin (in-) prefixes to "query".
    – AdamO
    Sep 6, 2019 at 20:18

2 Answers 2


The Oxford Learner's Dictionary has an "Help box" regarding Enquire vs Inquire, I'll paste it here:

In British English people sometimes distinguish between enquire and inquire, using enquire for the general meaning of ‘ask for information’ and inquire for the more particular meaning of ‘officially investigate’.

  • "I called to enquire about train times."
  • "A committee will inquire into the allegations."

However, you can use either spelling in either meaning. In American English inquire is usually used in both meanings.

The NOAD distinguishes them as inquire and inquiry being the usual U.S. spellings, while enquire and enquiry are classified as "the standard forms in Britain".


You almost always want enquire in the sense of "ask", eg "I enquired when the bus would leave"
Inquire is only used in the sense of an inquiry - an official investigation into something. eg. "Police inquire into the cause of the accident".

However my AE setting spellchecker doesn't think that "enquire" is a word - so this may be a British English distinction.

  • +1 Better provide some source of reference.
    – Kris
    Apr 21, 2015 at 13:34
  • I think @Alenanno gave a better answer anyway
    – mgb
    Apr 21, 2015 at 16:26
  • You know the ELU conventions, and the difference between an answer and a comment.
    – Kris
    Apr 22, 2015 at 5:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.