Is there an adjectival form of the word "type" that means "having to do with types"? The obvious adjectives "typical" and "typic" mean something different (roughly, "characteristic").

Context: In type theory I am looking for an adjective to modify "equality" to indicate that I am talking about the equality type rather than the definitional/judgmental equality. For this reason, using "type" attributively won't work either, because "type equality" is established to mean equality of types.

1 Answer 1


The word you're looking for is typal.

  • Thanks! Apparently one of its definitions is the same as "typical", but it also has the meaning I want, and it's less common so it will be less likely to automatically suggest the wrong meaning to a reader. Commented Sep 3, 2015 at 19:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.