Usually a noun can be made from a verb by adding an -er as a suffix (to paint -> painter, to eat -> eater). What is the rule for verbs that already end with the letter "e", such as "see", "flee", "agree"? Do we:

  • Add an "er" (agree -> agreeer)
  • Add only an r (agree -> agreer), and if so, are they pronounced without the "er" sound?
  • Do something else (Chrome's spellchecker underlined both of these)
  • Or do they not exist at all (agree -> people who agree)?

You just need to add "r" to any verbs that end with "e", including "ee", to form a noun.

"agreer" is a legitimate word and I am sure your Chrome worked in a wrong way.

  • 1
    This rule also works for making adjectives into their comparative form. But I can think of only one: Free -> freer. However, probably not carefree -> carefreer! – Brian Hitchcock Sep 1 '15 at 9:34

See -> seer (but this has a special meaning -- a soothsayer)

Flee --> escapee (this one is counter-intuitive!)

Agree --> supporter


Those who agree / he is in agreement

  • But, can't people flee without escaping? Also, it seems to me that you're evading the actual question. – sumelic Sep 2 '15 at 5:07
  • I'll try a different one for flee -> refugee. // My answer (sorry, I should have been more explicit) is that I have not been able to discover a rule. They are often irregular. // It was an interesting question! – aparente001 Sep 2 '15 at 5:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.