Can someone please let me know what is the technique called when I compare two people who are very different? In my case, it is Donald Woods when he first meets Steve Biko in the film Cry Freedom. I have something along the lines of

face to face, the privileged and the disadvantaged _____

  • i'm thinking it may be juxtaposition? looks like i have answered my own post but this might help someone else!
    – madhatter
    Aug 27, 2015 at 12:07
  • This site welcomes people to post answers to their own questions - go ahead!
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 27, 2015 at 12:22
  • 5
    "Contrast", perhaps?
    – Hot Licks
    Aug 27, 2015 at 12:45
  • 1
    After we stick in a word for the blank, what do you want the phrase to mean?
    – jxh
    Aug 27, 2015 at 15:16

4 Answers 4


I would say that the word you are looking for is "oppose" or perhaps, as Hot Licks suggest "contrast"



Juxtapose means to discuss or frame together for contrasting effect.

  • 'black-and-white photos of slums were starkly juxtaposed with color images'
    Oxford Dictionaries

This might help:

Antithesis: (literal meaning opposite) is a rhetorical device in which two opposite ideas are put together in a sentence to achieve a contrasting effect. (http://literarydevices.net/antithesis/)


If you are looking for a name of a literary technique, I would suggest foil:

In fiction, a foil is a character who contrasts with another character (usually the protagonist) in order to highlight particular qualities of the other character.

But, for your sample sentence, I am not sure what it is you want there, but clash would sound about right.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.