I'm searching for a way to describe a street intersection where the lanes do not line up directly parallel from one side to the other. I.e., if you were to drive through the intersection and maintain your lane, you would have to veer a bit to one side as you crossed to be completely within the lane as you exited the intersection. The vertical slope or grade isn't the focus, but the horizontal alignment of the lanes.

The term does not need to be a technical one. The best I've been able to come up with so far is "staggered." All lanes need not necessarily be uneven (in case that matters).

Thank you!

  • 1
    I'd call it a dogleg. Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 21:26
  • 1
    I usually call it a "jog". (Or a "!@&# Moorhead intersection".)
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 21:32
  • It might be called "offset"
    – Jim Mack
    Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 21:42
  • @StoneyB That's an answer.
    – bib
    Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 21:55
  • @bib Not without more research to confirm it. I only call it a dogleg cause that's what my Mama called it. Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 21:59

1 Answer 1


If the lane is parallel, but offset, then it seems to be commonly referred to as a Staggered Junction or an Offset T-Intersection.

If the lane meets at the same point on both sides of the intersection, but at a different angle, then a commonly used phrase is Skewed Intersection (oblique alignment is rarely used)*.

*Edited to correct the statement that "oblique alignment" was commonly used; it's actually rather rare.

  • Thank you, John. Staggered junction is exactly the situation I was trying to name.
    – Dan
    Commented Aug 27, 2015 at 19:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.