Suppose somebody has wronged me, and I want them to make amends. Say I ask for an apology. What are my efforts called? Am I also making amends, or is there a word/phrase that describes the action of trying to get somebody else to make amends?

  • you are in effect trying to make amends.
    – gelolopez
    Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 17:11
  • 2
    I think you are demanding an apology.
    – user66974
    Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 17:16
  • You're seeking compensation, restitution, etc. To my mind, giving an apology wouldn't normally count as *making amends", so apologise and make amends isn't just meaningless repetition. Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 18:06
  • For such demand, you may use request for [an] apology
    – Graffito
    Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 18:59
  • 'Seeking satisfaction' is perhaps used more generally. Commented Aug 26, 2015 at 20:57

2 Answers 2


One of the definitions of appeal is:

: to try to make someone do or accept something as right or proper by saying things that are directed at a person's feelings, attitudes, etc.

  • A typical expression is: appeal to their sense of right and wrong.
    – jxh
    Commented Aug 27, 2015 at 18:12

As the wronged party, you want the offender to make amends; that is not you making amends.

One tactic commonly used when one person is seeking (eg. an apology) from another, is to employ the classic "guilt trip".

So to describe taking this action, you might say: "I guilt-tripped him/her into doing what I wanted."

  • 1
    I know this is a much broader term than what your specific situation asks for, but it's as close to it as I can think of at the moment.
    – W9WBH
    Commented Aug 27, 2015 at 7:16
  • Please don't guilt-trip me! I'll respond much better if you give me a straightforward I-message. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-message. Commented Aug 29, 2015 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.