Imagine a scenario where the default value for a temperature is 20°C. Is there a word that you can use to say that if you do X you add 2°C to that value, if you do Y you minus 7°C to that value and if you do Z you add 1°C.

I want to explain that `for each action you apply a ...'

I can think of two words that are similar:

You could say you apply a handicap - as you would in golf

Or you apply a multiplier

The following question :What is a word similar to "multiplier" but for addition (or subtraction) suggests addend or subtrahend but again this implies a positive or negative direction.


An adjustment:

  • A modification, fluctuation, or correction: an adjustment in the consumer price index.


  • 1
    I think a combination of your answer and Centaurus is best - an adjustment factor doesn't imply any particular method of changing a value or any direction but simply that it is changed. – PaulBarr Aug 26 '15 at 16:01

I suggest you use "a correction factor" for the desired temperature.

For each action you apply a temperature correction factor.

  • A correction factor is any mathematical adjustment made to a calculation to account for deviations in either the sample or the method of measurement.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/facts_7268119_correction-factor_.html

Or, if your intention is not to correct an error, "a regulation" seems to fit.

  • For each action, you apply a temperature regulation.
  • I dont think correction factor is quite right as you are not trying to adjust a value to correct error but make an adjustment to one based off an action (yourdictionary.com/correction-factor) thank you for your help though, its closer that what I got to! – PaulBarr Aug 26 '15 at 15:29


From ODO:

a person or thing that makes partial or minor changes to something

This is a common usage for applying changes to the outcomes of die rolls in wargaming and RPGs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.