Is there a single word that covers any person who "rides" in a vehicle?

Driver would refer only to the person driving the vehicle. Passenger can be used for everyone but not the driver.

How to refer to all of them? "People riding in a vehicle" seems too long.

"People being subject to conveyance"

  • 9
    "Occupants" ....
    – deadrat
    Aug 25, 2015 at 9:18
  • To add to what deadrat said, you may like to search for "occupants of the vehicle", you will get many results ---> google.co.uk/… Aug 25, 2015 at 9:24
  • 1
    Or travellers? Note: in the UK this can refer to people having a nomadic or unconventional lifestyle. Aug 25, 2015 at 10:32

1 Answer 1



A person, family, group, or organization that lives in, occupies, or has quarters or space in or on something:

The occupant of a taxicab; The occupants of the building.


  • if I say "driving experience", does it include other occupants too, or does it apply only to the person driving the vehicle? Aug 25, 2015 at 9:47
  • Usually, in order to have a "driving" experience you need to drive.
    – user66974
    Aug 25, 2015 at 9:49
  • And in some cars (I'm thinking of Buicks) you can drive, and still not have a "driving experience". Aug 25, 2015 at 9:52
  • Or in a google car......
    – user66974
    Aug 25, 2015 at 9:55
  • This is right. The police usually refer to 'the occupants of the vehicle' in reporting car accidents, when covering both driver and passengers
    – IanS
    Aug 25, 2015 at 10:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.