Does anyone know if there is a word for the "rear compartment" of a vehicle? I'm talking about larger vehicles, trucks, jeeps, etc. In the particular case I'm dealing with, I'm translating a movie script discussing a World War II era truck (think "Saving Private Ryan") taking soldiers to the front lines. The "rear compartment" (???) is covered on top with canvas, or cloth, and the back of the truck is left open, presumably so that the soldiers can disembark quickly.

Maybe it's just "rear compartment" - I'm not sure.

  • The answers you have received so far are correct. However it might be helpful if you wrote the whole of your translated sentence so that we can see the words in context. Aug 25, 2015 at 8:34

2 Answers 2


I think it is called "truck bed".

  • the floor or bottom of a wagon or truck or trailer.

From Cars and Trucks Word Search:

  • At the end of the TRUCK BED, there is a huge METAL flap. The FLAP is only attached on two sides, so it SWINGS open when the truck bed is raised and the load of GRAVEL, or dirt, pushes against it. The WEIGHT of the load opens the flap ...

enter image description here

enter image description here

Ngram: truck bed.


it is a truck bed, the term is used here if you need proof

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.