I have a question about bubbles and the people who are particularly fond of them. Would someone please help me find a word for such people? Thank you.

closed as off-topic by Mari-Lou A, choster, Scott, David, Nigel J Apr 25 '18 at 11:37

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

  • "Please include the research you’ve done, or consider if your question suits our English Language Learners site better. Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic." – Mari-Lou A, Scott, Nigel J
  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – choster, David
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    Obviously, "bubblicious". – Hot Licks Aug 24 '15 at 21:32
  • 1
    Are you talking about bubble wrap? Or blowing bubbles? Or just bubbly things in general? I vaguely recall hearing or reading a word for someone who likes to pop bubble wrap, but I don’t recall what it was. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Aug 24 '15 at 21:45
  • 1
    Uh, Lawrence Welk? Or how about Don Ho, the singer of that song "Tiny Bubbles"? Don – rhetorician Aug 24 '15 at 23:11
  • 2
    Well, ancient Greek words I can find for bubble are pompholuzo (πομφολύζω) and uperbluzo (ὑπερβλύζω), so you could probably add -phile to one of those if you feel like making up your own word. Bubble is originally Swedish in origin (bubbla), so you could maybe add -vän (or possibly -älskare; I don't speak Swedish so I can't say for certain) if you want to go that route. Unfortunately, I don't know of any existing English words that mean what you want. – SomethingDark Aug 24 '15 at 23:45
  • 2
    @SomethingDark: looking at the Greek usage, I would guess more like pompholugophile with a -g- in the stem – Henry Aug 25 '15 at 7:14

The fear of bubbles is "ebulliophobia," ultimately derived from the Latin bullare, to bubble or boil. So I suppose that term for the opposite condition is "ebulliophilia," making the people thus affected ebulliophiliacs.

  • 1
    And here I was so hoping for a more ebullient version of this answer. – tchrist Aug 25 '15 at 2:07
  • @tchrist If only I weren't too old to use emoticons and emojis. I understand that there are some of those to counteract my depressive personality. – deadrat Aug 25 '15 at 2:12
  • Strange, I was considering about coining the word effervephile or something without the issue of pronunciation (although ebullient had crossed my mind). – Jasper Locke Aug 25 '15 at 11:34
  • alas ... is that a neologism? – lbf Apr 24 '18 at 18:06
  • @lbf It is your garden variety latin+greek coinage – psosuna Apr 24 '18 at 18:51

This may not be what you're looking for, but if you'd like to invent such a word, you could use "bulla" which is Latin for bubble, and "amator" which is lover, adorer, admirer.


I think that if you like to talk about bubbles and a person or persons who are fond of them, you'll want to have a whole stable of words and phrases. So here are a few more:

Bubble nut, bubble fan, bubblenik, bubbler, bubble connoisseur, gourmet bubbler, bubble aficionado, bubble expert, bubble enthusiast.

If you are the expert, you could be a bubble mentor, or bubble teacher. Your mentee could be the bubble initiate, the bubble apprentice.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.