How should one treat the hyphenation of a word to a two-word phrase, such as in the example below:

something about the qubit-resonator mode frequency detuning.

The sentence tries to express: "something about the frequency detuning of the qubit from a mode of the resonator," but in a succinct form. If we could only use the word by itself, this sentence would work, but resonator alone is not correc, it has to be qualified by the word mode, i.e. a mode of the resonator: hence, the single unit, resonator mode.

  • 2
    Well, qubit resonator-mode frequency detuning would make the most sense, as I read it. – Robusto Aug 18 '15 at 12:29
  • Certainly since you are talking about the qubit of a resonator mode, it should be "qubit resonator-mode". What you have right now, "qubit-resonator mode", means you are talking about a mode of the qubit resonator. Which is not what you are talking about, so I don't understand why you're even considering it. – RegDwigнt Aug 18 '15 at 12:40
  • @RegDwight: the question is how to hyphenate things like Canada-United States treaty. It's a duplicate, and should be closed as a duplicate, and not as an unclear question. – Peter Shor Aug 18 '15 at 12:43
  • This question was answered by Peter and the link he provided as well as Nonym, can we either delete it or unblock it? – AimForClarity Aug 19 '15 at 19:26

What is wrong with using

something about the frequency detuning of the qubit from a resonator mode ?

I'm afraid that no matter how you hyphenate qubit–resonator-mode frequency detuning, it's not going to be comprehensible. It's a noun pile-up, like air bag malfunction safety recall follow-up notice, and those should be avoided.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.