I can't seem to find it in a dictionary, but every once in a while (although rarely) I do seem to come across examples, such as Bartel-Pritchard Square, that seem to indicate the two are synonyms.

Are they? Is it a regional thing (American/British/etc.)? Or is it a misunderstanding of the word?

  • 6
    Interesting.. Have you considered the possibility that the particular place you mention has been a "square" historically and at some point a roundabout was placed there in as a part of urban development (for easing the traffic flow, for example) – posdef Aug 16 '15 at 10:39
  • @posdef: I had not! Are you suggesting that's generally the case, or are you just pointing it out for that particular one? (e.g. another example) – user541686 Aug 16 '15 at 10:46
  • 3
    Square does often awkward duty in English for any open area in a city-scape regardless of shape. We seem to have no more geometrically generic term like German Platz, Czech Náměstí, or Greek Πλατεία. A circular space may be called Circle or (much less frequent) Circus, but even it, as your link demonstrates, can have the label Square applied to it. – Brian Donovan Aug 16 '15 at 10:48
  • Mehrdad: I meant for that specific example, but I think it might be plausible explanation in general. It's partially connected with @BrianDonovan's comment regarding the word "square" having another meaning that has, over the years, diverged from the geometric shape. – posdef Aug 16 '15 at 11:04
  • 1
    @BrianDonovan - Actually, "plaza" is fairly generic, but, in the US at least, it tends to be viewed as a pedestrian-only space (with some exceptions, I'm sure). – Hot Licks Aug 16 '15 at 11:09

A roundabout (mainly BrE) is a traffic circle - a junction of several roads consisting of a central (usually circular) island around which traffic moves in one direction.

A square is an open, typically four-sided, area surrounded by buildings.

Roundabouts exist to help car drivers get around. Squares are public spaces where people/pedestrians congregate (large ones may be called plazas).

Here's Old Street Roundabout in London, which could be transformed into a pedestrian square...

enter image description here

Although because of the shape some people might call this one a "squareabout"1, it's not yet a "square" because pedestrians can't really get to it.

1 There's a Holiday Inn just up the road from me that gives its address as The Squareabout, because it's in the middle of a large and relatively square roundabout.

| improve this answer | |
  • Just so you know, here in Colorado they are only known as roundabouts. Honest. – tchrist Aug 16 '15 at 12:43
  • @tchrist: In the UK we call the big ones gyratories - here are a few references calling my pictured one the Old Street gyratory. – FumbleFingers Aug 16 '15 at 13:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.