I wonder to know is there any word which is the antonym of "armiger"?

  • armiger: one entitled to armorial bearings (Webster).

A noble who has not a coat of arms is called a ___

There is a possible heraldic system in ancient Iran. Some nobles in ancient Iran had arms and some of them had not. I need the word to describe those without arms.

  • So you want a word that means "everybody who is not entitled to armorial bearings", in other words, a word that describes probably 99.99% of the world population? Why do you think there should be a word to describe a completely common, normal, default situation that applies in almost all cases as beings "special" because some extremely rare exception does not apply? I would not expect there to be a special word for someone who has two legs, even though there may be a word for someone with only one leg. – oerkelens Aug 13 '15 at 10:03
  • 1
  • You need to edit your question and clarify. Comments can be deleted without warning, and users will answer the question, not the extra information in the comments. – Mari-Lou A Aug 13 '15 at 10:45
  • How about "unheralded"? – Hot Licks Sep 12 '15 at 20:57

Are you looking for commoner ?

  • Definition: One of the common people, a person without noble rank or title.

  • Example: The king feared that had Prince Bertil married a commoner, the royal dynasty's survival would be jeopardised

EDIT: response provided before question clarification, i.e. noble without arm

| improve this answer | |
  • In Europe (France for instance), all armigers aren't necessarily noble. Hoxever, some particularities were distinguishing noble and commoner arms. – Graffito Aug 13 '15 at 10:45
  • Yes, I do know. – user64617 Aug 13 '15 at 10:50
  • 2
    As the arms are considered (in Europe) as one of the main attributes of nobility, I am not sure that the word you are looking for exists in English. – Graffito Aug 13 '15 at 10:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.