I can't find a proper verb corresponding to the adjective divisive. If a person is divisive, then can I also say that they "divide other people apart"? Is there a verb for divisive?

  • I can't provide you with an exact answer, but judging on the handful of dictionaries I searched, the only thing close to a verb is its adverb "divisively".
    – Dog Lover
    Aug 11, 2015 at 0:48
  • 1
    Assassinate? Or is that just subtraction? Aug 11, 2015 at 2:06

3 Answers 3


Upset would be the normal word to use. Otherwise

Disrupt (Merriam-Webster has a rather narrow view)

b : to throw into disorder "agitators trying to disrupt the meeting"

Sociologists also use:
alienate, antagonise, upset, dissaffect. estrange.


From the Oxford dictionary

Rift - verb: (usually as adjective rifted) Tear or force (something) apart

  • Also the verb rive, with past rived and past participle riven.
    – tchrist
    Aug 11, 2015 at 1:57
  • @tchrist, cleave may be the more modern verb?
    – stevesliva
    Aug 11, 2015 at 6:49

I'm not sure why divide doesn't pass muster-- yes, you can say "divides others"-- but when it comes to relationships between people, there's:

sunder -

to split apart (an organization, two people, etc.) especially in a violent way

... which is most commonly seen in the word asunder-- "tear asunder"-- because sunder is such a rare verb. (Also sundry, so the root is still alive)

There is also cleave, but sunder has specific connotations for interpersonal relationships.

For verbs with adjectives, there's sows discord, drives apart, creates rifts, etc, but sunder is closest to what you want, albeit archaic.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.