Is there an English verb for removing contractions from a body of text?

Like changing "I wasn't there" to "I was not there".

  • 2
    No, there isn't. Removing contractions is about as terse as one can get. – John Lawler Aug 10 '15 at 22:37
  • 2
    The opposite of contraction is expansion. But beware that removing all contractions in English will make you sound like a Martian. – Dan Bron Aug 10 '15 at 22:37
  • Opposite to words contraction, we may think to disjunction. But, I am not really sure that it will be understood in that sense. – Graffito Aug 10 '15 at 23:00
  • 1
    I believe this is part of their plan -- once they remove all English contractions, they will conquer us with ease. I, for one, welcome our new Martian overlords. Do you not? – deadrat Aug 11 '15 at 0:42
  • "Expanding the contractions" sounds like the best fit to describe it. – Fabien Snauwaert Nov 6 '18 at 8:37

By Googling "contraction antonym oxford" Oxford offered the following:

contraction: shorten (a word or phrase) by combination or elision. "these sources were called quasistellar objects, which was soon contracted to quasar"
synonyms: shorten, abbreviate, cut, reduce, abridge, truncate "the name ‘Jacquenard’ was soon contracted to ‘Jack’ in English"
antonyms: expand, lengthen

Search for "expand contraction" let to a number of grammar sites giving instructions for dictation; there was also a lead to

Thomas Middleton and Early Modern Textual Culture:
By John Lavagnino p762 (p731 also) expand, expanded, expansion,

'later Crane texts expand contractions more than early Crane texts.'

I could find no word to describe the interpretation/ filling out of sigla which is a similar process, in which the whole page may be transliterated with sigla or in full.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.