What do you call a piece of dead skin next to the nail bed of your finger?

Usually this piece of dead skin is rather thin — and it isn’t very wide, either, but the longer it is, the more it hurts. I usually start noticing these pieces of dead skin when one of them gets to be about half an inch long and hurts whenever I touch it.

Is there a better way to describe this piece of dead skin? I’ve tried to find a picture of it on the internet to link to, but I found some rather disturbing pictures instead.

  • 3
    I don't see how this is a duplicate. The answer to this question (hangnail) does not appear anywhere on the linked question or answers. – Jim Aug 10 '15 at 22:28
  • Yep, it's a hangnail. – Hot Licks Aug 11 '15 at 2:45
  • Half an inch long?!? When I get them, they hurt like a mofo after they reach about 2 mm in length! Half an inch would be down past what Wikipedia informs me is called the distal interphalangeal joint! Argh! – Janus Bahs Jacquet Aug 16 '15 at 22:27
  • Before it splits off from the rest of the skin and pulls away and begins to hurt, the sliver of skin is, I believe, called a cuticle. – Sven Yargs Aug 27 '15 at 6:04

I usually refer to various bits of skin off the side of my nail as hangnails, regardless of whether it is skin or part of my nail itself. But, from WebMD:

A hangnail is the strip of skin that separates from the side of the cuticle.

I refer to WebMD rather than a dictionary in hopes that it will help you treat your pain.

If the skin was puffy and then cracked open, it may be the after math of a popped blister or fungal infection. You may want to visit a dermatologist.

  • I also same some gruesome images while looking that up. :o – user1470901 Aug 10 '15 at 21:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.