I am certain I once read a definition of a word that describes the gift you get only by virtue of your job and not really given to you personally. Like, when the US President gets a rug from the Ambassador from Afghanistan, it's not for Barack Obama the person, it would have been given to whomever the US President was at the time. I have searched and searched, and although I have found amusing examples of gifts and the laws, rules and etiquette around them, I haven't found this word. Can anyone help?

  • Complimentary gift? :)
    – Mari-Lou A
    Aug 10, 2015 at 18:54
  • I presume you have discarded the expressions: Gifts of State, Head of State Gifts and Foreign Official Gifts. I
    – Mari-Lou A
    Aug 10, 2015 at 19:01
  • I guess "swag" just doesn't really cut it for Presidential things. Aug 10, 2015 at 19:47
  • All the answers (even "swag" :) ) are accurate but not what I was looking for. It's a single word, and it has the vibe of inurement or consideration, but is more specific and way more obscure. Inurement is close, though. I wonder if that's what I read and I just misremember...
    – Stephen
    Aug 11, 2015 at 21:52

1 Answer 1


Apparently the term for this, at least according to the U.S. government, is "protocol gift". From the homepage of the U.S. Department of State's "Protocol Gift Unit":

The Protocol Gift Unit within the Office of the Chief of Protocol serves as the central processing point for all tangible gifts received from foreign sources by employees of the Executive Branch of the Federal government. The Unit is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the official record of all gifts presented by the Department of State to officials of foreign governments.

  • I voted for Protocol gift. Variants are "diplomatic gift" or "diplomatic present".
    – Graffito
    Aug 10, 2015 at 21:56
  • It's a single word, though.
    – Stephen
    Aug 11, 2015 at 21:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.