I've noticed that people usually organize things by

  • Grouping things with the same subject/topic together, then
  • Putting a short heading at the top.

What's the proper English word for this kind of organization process?


  • Newpaper sections (business, sport, current affairs)
  • Stack Overflow Communities (Programming, English Language & Usage, Physics)
  • Libraries (science fiction, horror)
  • TV channels (movies, comedy, news)
  • Textbook chapters (intro, basics)
  • Computer folders (my pictures, my documents etc.)

1 Answer 1


I think you are looking to categorise or classify:

  • to arrange in categories or classes; classify.
  • to describe by labeling or giving a name to; characterize.

The Free Dictionary

  • +1 In US we seem to use categorize more often.
    – bib
    Aug 10, 2015 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy