I have a friend who always changes their mind depending on what others say just so he can be different and stand out, I've heard someone call it something before (I think I have, anyway) is there a name for this type of behavior?

marked as duplicate by tchrist, Jim, Mari-Lou A, TimLymington, FumbleFingers meaning Aug 9 '15 at 15:39

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Argumentative is one word. – Hot Licks Aug 8 '15 at 2:12

devils advocate, contrarian. Taking an opposing view for it's own sake. Exercising the other side of a debate to test the strength of your argument (something lawyers love)

  • 4
    "a contrarian" is the right word but your answer needs some improvement: links to sources, examples, references. – Centaurus Aug 8 '15 at 1:18

contrarian is a noun. It doesn't necessarily imply that the person is antipathetic or argumentative; only that the person does something (e.g, investing in the stock market) in a way that seems opposite to the "common wisdom".

The adjective to describe someone who "disagrees just be different" is closely related:

  • contrary

See #4: http://i.word.com/idictionary/contrary


Contradictor : someone opposite of a statement or idea put forward by another.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.