I'm looking for a (preferably single) word for "increment or decrement to bring into range", with particular emphasis on 'bring into range'.

'Reconcile' or 'limit' are not bad as far as target (range) is concerned. The musical term 'modulation' expresses the action but doesn't quite reach the biscuit tin as far as target (range) is concerned.

Imagine a number (could represent a note in an octave) which is either too high or low to fit into a given range (the acoustic range, say, of an instrument's finger- or keyboard) and so would have to be tonally adjusted (modulated up or down by an octave) in order to be playable.

Now, taking away the musical connotations, is there another word with more general application?

  • 2
    tune, adjust.
    – Drew
    Aug 6, 2015 at 2:00
  • Where does that leave excrement, I wonder? Aug 6, 2015 at 22:58
  • Crap comment, dude. :-) Aug 7, 2015 at 15:52

4 Answers 4


Perhaps 'calibrate' would fit the bill? I would use it with the sense of adjusting a device in order to bring some metric to within a given range.

3 : to standardize (as a measuring instrument) by determining the deviation from a standard so as to ascertain the proper correction factors


My background is archery, so my association here is to aim.


  1. [WITH OBJECT] Point or direct (a weapon or camera) at a target:
    aim the camcorder at some suitable object
    [NO OBJECT]: aim for the middle of the target



Music - the word is transpose. (not modulate)

In music transposition refers to the process, or operation, of moving a collection of notes (pitches or pitch classes) up or down in pitch by a constant interval.


Mathematics - the word is normalize.

transitive verb


: to make conform to or reduce to a norm or standard


: to make normal (as by a transformation of variables)



Clamp (from the data visualization domain, so not widely known).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.