What is an English words which describes that something is different for different people, or in other words, it's kind of exclusive to the person they belong to.

For example I want to say that there is nothing like "the-best-sleeping-duration". Sleep requirements vary with people. Different people have different sleep requirements.

Likewise, I want to say that there is nothing like the best method to study. Different methods are best-suited for different people. It's kind of subjective.

  • 1
    Hi Solace - Please note that "kinda" is not a recognised abbreviation in English. You might see it on informal websites, in representations of spoken dialog or in cartoons but definitely not in grammatical written English. – chasly from UK Aug 1 '15 at 17:43
  • 3
    Uh, "personal"? – Hot Licks Aug 1 '15 at 17:45
  • @HotLicks - Huh? – chasly from UK Aug 1 '15 at 17:48
  • @chaslyfromUK Thank you. This is a useful piece of information. – Solace Aug 1 '15 at 17:53

I would go with personal based on your example.

1 : of, relating to, or affecting a particular person

While subjective is a synonym for personal, it has a connotation that you can control it. I wouldn't say your requirement for sleep is something you can change as easily as your opinion on a matter. Antonyms for subjective include objective, unbiased, and unemotional. Antonyms for personal include common, public, and general.


I think you may mean subjective.




  1. based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. "his views are highly subjective"

synonyms: personal, personalized, individual, internal, emotional, instinctive, intuitive, impressionistic;

Google Dictionary


there can be a distinction between the denotative meaning of a word and its connotative meaning. in some cases the different understanding between people can be associated with differences in the connotations of a word

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.