Air conditioner (or any cooling machine) has mechanism/ability to pause cooling a room for a while. If this ability doesn't exist, the room will get very cold and could freeze anything in the room.

Is there a word or phrase for this mechanism?

  • Such things are typically called govenors or moderators.
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 1, 2015 at 16:27

2 Answers 2


Are you talking about a thermostat?




a device that automatically regulates temperature, or that activates a device when the temperature reaches a certain point.

Google Dictionary


I'm not aware of one single name for the mechanisms, but things for keeping something constant often use the suffix -stat: thermostat, rheostat, haemostat, barostat, photostat.

The broader process or phenomenon is generally called regulation, though that can mean not only turning things on or off, but also turning them up and down; and it doesn't have to keep effects (e.g. room temperature) in a steady state, it can also gradually change them in a controlled manner. The word stabilize may also be useful to express some aspects of the idea.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.