I want to know the English word for stuurhuis as shown in the following picture:

Depiction of an automotive steering system with Dutch part names

  • Your car mechanic might call it a rack and pinion unit, but ordinary people (if they refer to it at all) normally just call it the steering rack Commented Jul 31, 2015 at 16:32

2 Answers 2


As mentioned in a comment, it's "the rack and pinion unit". "rack and pinion unit".

  • A rack and pinion is commonly found in the steering mechanism of cars or other wheeled, steered vehicles. Rack and pinion provides a less efficient mechanical advantage than other mechanisms such as recirculating ball, but less backlash and greater feedback, or steering "feel". The mechanism may be power-assisted, usually by hydraulic or electrical means. Wikipedia

It looks like that part is a Rack and Pinion unit (sometimes shortened to "rack and pinion" on the sad occasions my mechanic has discussed it with me). Here's a similar picture of a steering system with the parts labeled in English.

enter image description here

  • 1
    I think your picture show it is the "Rack & Pinion Unit". Google images indicates this as well. I was able to do a query because of the image you added. Thanks. Stuurhuis images: google.nl/… . rack & pinion unit umages: google.nl/… . I am almost sure.
    – Daan
    Commented Jul 31, 2015 at 14:17
  • That's what it looks like to me too (now that I can see the picture). I'll update the answer.
    – T.E.D.
    Commented Jul 31, 2015 at 15:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.