Is there a word that represents the act of writing a phrase on something? In this case, I'm trying to advertise a club by "engraving" or "inking" ping pong balls with a phrase such as "Join this club."

Engraving is close, but you can't engrave ping pong balls, and "inking" is close but doesn't sound right.

  • Branding is the typical term for vendor giveaways and tschotskes. You could also use the specific method employed, like screening or silk screening.
    – Dan Bron
    Jul 28, 2015 at 15:06
  • If you are using a mechanized process to mark each object, you can call it "printing [a message or slogan or company name on]"; if not, you might refer to it as "hand-lettering [a message or slogan or company name on]."
    – Sven Yargs
    Jul 28, 2015 at 18:35

2 Answers 2


How about inscribe?

  1. to mark (a surface) with words, characters, etc., especially in a durable or conspicuous way. (m-w.com)

Well there is a word but it might be a little over the top!




conspicuously inscribe or display a design on. "T-shirts emblazoned with the names of baseball teams"

  • The word inscribe from the definition you quote might actually be precisely what OP is looking for.
    – Dan Bron
    Jul 28, 2015 at 15:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.