This question already has an answer here:

Is there an appropriate word for the antonym of "full-stack", as in programming? Someone who knows a lot of things just as a full-stack programmer, but without mastering them.

marked as duplicate by RegDwigнt May 18 '17 at 12:47

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


"jack of all trades" can refer to someone who knows how to do many different things but is not really a master at any of them.

  • 1
    The full saying is exactly that: "A Jack of all trades, a master of none." – Channel Islander Jul 26 '15 at 14:48

Dilettante, defined by Dictionary.com

a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler"


In sports you might refer to a utility player, in more general sense a factotum (from the Latin for "do it all").


I think you want the word "generalist": "one whose skills, interests, or habits are varied or unspecialized", according to Merriam-Webster.



A person who posseses knowledge about diverse topics.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.