What is a single word that means "male external genitals"?.

Would "vulvo" make the most sense if no word exists?

Vulva refers in English to external female genitals, though in origin it is the Latin word for ‘womb’, which is an internal female genital. So it doesn't make much sense to keep the original meaning at this point since the root word now means "external genitals as specified by the gender suffix".

Any other ideas for a word?

  • 1
    I think they use "twig and berries" in England, (somebody check me...) but in the US the common words are: package and junk. If you need to be more formal, you can just say "genitals" - since they're all hanging out there, there's no need to differentiate between internal and external. – Oldbag Jul 25 '15 at 16:10
  • 1
    genitals would seem to encompass everything external for a man. As @Oldbag was also writing, there's nothing inside. – stevesliva Jul 25 '15 at 16:10
  • 2
    Do you have any evidence that the ‘root word’ (not sure if you’re talking about Latin or English here) now means “external genitals as specified by the gender suffix”? The only productive gender suffixes that English has are borrowed feminisers like -ess and -ette, and vulva has none of those. It’s simply a word that, in English, happens to end in an a, and refers specifically to the female external genitalia. (I’m not aware of a word that refers specifically to the male external genitalia, no; pudenda can be used for both genders.) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 25 '15 at 16:12
  • 1
    @JanusBahsJacquet - Technically correct. But since the prostate is the only part of the male genitalia contained within the "trunk" of the body, wouldn't "prostate" suffice? I think "genitals" usually refers to the swinging parts, if the prostate is included I believe the whole shebang is called: the uro-genital system. Kudos for "pudenda". – Oldbag Jul 25 '15 at 16:31
  • 2
    @MishaRosnach Not necessarily. – tchrist Jul 25 '15 at 17:57

One needs a certain knowledge of embriology to answer this awkward question. As far back as I can remember, the scrotum (but not the testicles) is the male equivalent of the vulva, which consists of all the external female genitalia. While the female embryo develops the vulva, the male embryo develops the scrotum at approximately the same time "in utero". The ovaries being the testicles counterpart.

PS Since "vulva" belongs to technical vocabulary, I tried to use technical vocabulary in my answer instead of common parlance or slang-words. Now, if you are looking for a single word which includes the penis, scrotum and testicles, I'm afraid there isn't. Better use "the external male genitals" (or genitalia)

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    That doesn't fit with the common meaning of vulva as ‘the external female genitals’, though, because the scrotum is only part of the external male genitals. I believe the answer is looking for a word that describes all the external male genitals, rather than a word for the structure that is biologically the male equivalent of the vulva in females. (Oh, you edited an address to that in as I was typing!) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 25 '15 at 17:40
  • @JanusBahsJacquet I've added something about that. – Centaurus Jul 25 '15 at 17:41
  • @sumelic The female urethral orifice isn't included in the genitals. It's part of urinary tract. Then again, the labia majora (outer labia), the labia minora, the clitoris and the vaginal opening, are all part of the external female genitalia. – Centaurus Jul 25 '15 at 17:48
  • Thanks for not adding the obligatory illustrations in an effort to jack up your votes. :) – tchrist Jul 25 '15 at 18:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.