For example, the I Love You gesture:

enter image description here

Or the Vulcan salute:

enter image description here

Or the V for Victory:

enter image description here

  • What is the general name for all of these actions?
  • Would you say they are funny hand gestures?
  • What verb should it be: raising or showing?
  • 7
    The general name is "hand gestures". There's nothing more technical or specific than that. – Dan Bron Jul 22 '15 at 14:23
  • I'd like to focus on the funny side. So would you say they are funny hand gesture? What verb should it be? Raising or showing? – Ooker Jul 22 '15 at 14:24
  • More commonly making or performing I think – Avon Jul 22 '15 at 14:26
  • 1
    How is that an “I love you” gesture? Never heard of it, nor seen it. – tchrist Jul 24 '15 at 13:56
  • 1
    @tchrist you can google it – Ooker Jul 24 '15 at 14:07

In some contexts, notably in hiphop culture and in the dance/rave scene, people talk of throwing shapes

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.