I am pretty sure when listing multiple abbreviations for a doctor/dentist that it should be the following, using commas:

John Doe, DDS, MD, FACS

But I am have a client who insists it is:

John Doe, DDS. MD. FACS

I am unable to find anything official on this matter and hoping to do so. Thanks.

closed as primarily opinion-based by tchrist, deadrat, Edwin Ashworth, Misti, Dan Bron Jul 22 '15 at 17:34

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    There is no single "official" way to display this information; it is a matter of style, and different style guides or editors may have different preferences. I would agree that commas are by far the most common format, but I'm not paying your bills. – choster Jul 21 '15 at 18:11
  • It's a matter of style. The name could also be listed (if not using the Aberdeen Style Guide) as "John Doe, D.D.S., M.D., F.A.C.S." in which case delimiting the degrees with periods would be confusing. – scottb Jul 21 '15 at 22:47

As choster says, go with your client and pocket the money!

These days, the fashion seems to be to omit punctuation altogether.

2.17 Qualifications

Titles and qualifications should not carry full stops or spaces within them. Where qualifications appear after a name, they should be separated by a space but no comma.

University of Aberdeen - Style Guide

Do a Google search for

"style guide" qualifications

You can narrow this down by country by appending :UK or :US for example.

Then you can choose whichever style suits. You can also send the link to your client as a way of persuading them.

  • I have no idea what your special characters are there, but Firefox displays them as a box with figures (character F0B7, which I suppose I could look up). – Andrew Leach Jul 21 '15 at 20:32
  • @AndrewLeach - Hi, I can't see any special characters. Where exactly do they occur? I'll try to remove them. P.S. maybe they're where I cut and pasted from a website? I'll edit to change my source. – chasly from UK Jul 21 '15 at 20:45
  • i.imgur.com/geHZk9a.png for what it looks like in Firefox – Andrew Leach Jul 21 '15 at 20:48
  • Yes, I see. I realise now that it happened because I cut and paste from a PDF document. I've changed it altogether now. – chasly from UK Jul 21 '15 at 21:01
  • I can only say I am pleased I've never had to work with that farcical monstrosity of a style guide. So much inconsistency in so little space—and a style guide that almost goes out of its way to not even adhere to itself! *shakes head* – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 21 '15 at 23:11

I found a good reference site and link to a very detailed page with what I was looking for.



Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.