I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but any help is appreciated.
I'm Portuguese, but I also use English for my work. For that, I use dictionaries in my computer. My question is: which dictionary language should I use, British or American English?
- Should I use British because it is the oldest?
- Should I use British because I'm in Europe?
- Should I use American because I will correspond with people from all parts of the globe?
- Should I use American because American words are similar to Portuguese ones (e.g. elevator <-> elevador, film <-> filme)?
- Should I use American because of NATO? (This one is maybe a little far-fetched.)