What's a noun/verb for whacking yourself on the head?

I vaguely recall having seen a word for this somewhere but I'm not that sure. The closest phrase I can think of is self harm or self mutilation, but those aren't really what I'm looking for.

I'd actually like something that can be used to convey someone's frustration, i.e. something like a facepalm.

It doesn't have to fit within the religious context.

  • If you'd actually like a word that conveys the idea of hitting oneself out of frustration (as in the TV commercial "I could have had a V8!") and not in a religious context, then this picture parodying monks "mortifying their flesh" is not relevant at all. – TRomano Jul 19 '15 at 11:48
  • or self-punishment.....vocabulary.com/dictionary/self-punishment – Misti Jul 19 '15 at 12:38
  • 1
    @TimRomano - I think we should agree to introduce the phrase "having a V8", or "V8-ing" - (As in: "The child expresses his frustration with repeated vee-eighting) and see if it makes it into DSM 5. – Oldbag Jul 19 '15 at 13:11

I think it is a form of self-flagellation:

  • beating with a whip or strap or rope as a form of punishment

The Free Dictionary

The Flagellation:

  • refers in a Christian context to the Flagellation of Christ, an episode in the Passion of Christ prior to Jesus' crucifixion. The practice of mortification of the flesh for religious purposes was utilized by some Christians throughout most of Christian history, especially in Catholic monasteries and convents.



The Scots use heid-banger as the noun of a person who heid-bangs, and heid-banging as the gerund.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.