My mother's brother is my "uncle". His son is my "cousin". His wife is my "aunt". Each of these words names a specific person based on their familial relationship to me. Together the three of them make up a family of their own. Is there a way to name that family as it relates to me? This would be similar to how "in-laws" refers to a married couple as they relate to me via my marriage, if I were married (He's single, ladies).

  • Why not just call them “your uncle’s family”? Choose uncle over aunt since your uncle is more closely related.
    – Jim
    Jul 17, 2015 at 22:24
  • Or your cousin's family, for that matter.
    – Oldcat
    Jul 17, 2015 at 22:49

1 Answer 1


parents - father & mother
grandparents - grandfather & grandmother
siblings - brother & sister
niblings - nephew & niece
piblings - uncle & aunt

The latter is pending approval as of now: There isn't a word for it!

  • If they get approved, I vote "pibnib" for the family comprising niblings and piblings, as it relates to one.
    – DyingIsFun
    Jul 17, 2015 at 18:58
  • 3
    As long as we are being whimsical, can we use "outlaws" for the relatives of a divorced spouse?
    – ab2
    Jul 17, 2015 at 19:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.