Is there any particular word for a person whose partner (love) has passed away? Like he/she is keeping lonely now, crying or silent all the time because they miss their dead partner.



Dictionary.com: (of a person) greatly saddened at being deprived by death of a loved one

Merriam-Webster: suffering the death of a loved one

Cambridge: people who are sad because someone close to them has died

Oxford: be deprived of a loved one through a profound absence, especially due to the loved one’s death

"Just because we're bereaved doesn't make us saps!" - Walter, The Big Lebowski

| improve this answer | |
  • 7
    Similarly, the archaic yet bittersweet-sounding bereft. – talrnu Jul 14 '15 at 18:39

Possibly a widow.


a woman who has lost her spouse by death and has not remarried

Source: Dictionary.com

As Hugh mentioned below, a man who has lost his wife and not remarried would be a widower.


a man who has lost his spouse by death and has not remarried

Source: Dictionary.com

| improve this answer | |
  • 8
    ...and a man who has lost his wife is a widower. – Hugh Jul 13 '15 at 23:13
  • 1
    I thought that if you were widowed it was a permanent condition. See Wikipedia - widow. If someone becomes a widow, remarrying doesn't alter that fact. – Nick Gammon Jul 14 '15 at 2:43
  • 3
    @NickGammon - depends on the context. Legally, if you remarry, you're, well, married and not widowed. It's important for things like taxes. – Davor Jul 14 '15 at 10:02
  • 4
    Or you could opt for the unisex adjective, widowed. – talrnu Jul 14 '15 at 18:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.