You know how when you drink something freezingly cold you experience a brainfreeze, what about when you eat something extremely hot and you feel the burn in your esophagus. What is that called?

  • 2
    You could be thinking of heartburn
    – Jim Mack
    Jul 11 '15 at 8:18
  • I sense this is more a medical question, than one about the English language. May I suggest to try google.
    – WS2
    Jul 11 '15 at 8:20

In America , I think we would call it

  • burning one's throat

I believe that Americans do not commonly/colloquially call it the esophagus; that is more of a medical term.

Note that this is different from

  • "having a burning [feeling]" in one's throat

which is usually caused by acid reflux (formerly known as heartburn), not by heat.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.