For example, when you move your hand back and forth quickly (or just any object), you see "two" in a way. When something quick is thrown, there's a line that is left behind that follows that object.

I suppose "afterimages" suits it the closest, but it doesn't seem to be the right term.

For the second example, I think "trail" works, but I don't think it works for the first example.

Is there any specific terms, or could it only be described?

  • A "blur", perhaps? – Hot Licks Jul 10 '15 at 17:00

The term used in animation is motion blur.


Maybe "Persistence of vision", except that's mostly used for when the object is glowing - like those LED sticks that you wave and it makes text in mid-air.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.