A "contemporary" is someone who has lived at the same time (more-or-less, anyway) as another person. e.g., Bret Harte (1836-1902) can be said to have been a contemporary of Mark Twain (1835-1910).

What about people who have lived in the same place, but at different times (such as myself and Mark Twain (Angels Camp, California)) - is there a word for that? "Congeorary" or so?

Or people who have lived in the same place and time (I don't even want to guess at what the word might be)?

  • Fellow countryman. – user66974 Jul 7 '15 at 16:41
  • "lived in the same place and time" - if the place is small enough you could say they were neighbours – lessthanideal Jul 7 '15 at 16:44
  • I don't suppose you'd take homeboy – Tushar Raj Jul 7 '15 at 16:49
  • @Josh61: Two people who lived in Angels Camp would be fellow villagemen, maybe (townsmen? citymen?) – Clay Shannon Jul 7 '15 at 16:51
  • Ngram: books.google.com/ngrams/… – user66974 Jul 7 '15 at 17:22

For people who have lived in the same place

As a general term you could use:

fellow place_name resident

Coming from the same country:

countryman, compatriot or landsman

Coming from the same city:

fellow citizen

  • 1
    I don't actually live in London - but if I did, I certainly wouldn't expect my fellow citizens to significantly imply fellow Londoners as opposed to people who live elsewhere within the country. – FumbleFingers Jul 7 '15 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.