My work colleagues and I have been having a discussion about doctors (we work in healthcare), and we're split down the middle as to whether a specialist doctor would have a speciality, or a specialty (no "i"). Is there a specific use for each word, or can they be interchanged?

  • I was faced with the same dilemma when putting together my CV. I then noticed that the online database of translators housed on the website of The Chartered Institute of Linguists (of which I am a member) used another word altogether: 'specialisms' - and I eventually decided to go with that. – The Advocate Sep 7 '16 at 14:12

There seems to be divergence on that point: See Wikipedia. Others seem to think so as well.

I suspect that specialty is American English and speciality is British English.

  • This resource has some nice examples of BrE vs AmE usage in the press. – James Mar 5 '15 at 15:38

Specialty is the word used in American English (the OED reports it's chiefly Northern American), while speciality is used in British English.

In medicine (as for what reported by the OED) both specialty and speciality are used.

  • 3
    I can confirm that in UK hospitals, consultants refer to their Specialty rather than Speciality - I know this because I "helpfully" spellchecked the user interface for an NHS computer application, and then later had to revert it when they all complained! – James McCormack Jun 30 '15 at 10:45

It's standard US medical editing practice to change instances of "specialities" to "specialties." Note the certifying agency: American Board of Medical Specialties.


Ideally, both of them mean the same thing. The usage is the only difference. Like prioritise and prioritize.

protected by tchrist Sep 8 '16 at 3:51

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.