When I want to describe my self .. Should I say I'm a graduate or graduated student in .. What is more accurate ? Past or present ? P.s: I have a bachelor degree and I'm not planning currently to have a master.

  • 2
    If a graduated beaker is one graduated with markings of regular intervals of volumetric measurement, would a graduated student similarly mean one with markings of volumetric intellectual and academic achievements? Commented Jul 5, 2015 at 6:18
  • First you have to specify UK or US.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jul 5, 2015 at 12:35

2 Answers 2


Well, if you're not a student anymore, you probably shouldn't be referring to yourself as a student at all, and just say that you "graduated with a bachelor's degree in ...". If you're an engineer or architect, you could say something more along the lines of "I'm an engineer / architect, and I received my undergraduate degree from ...".

However, the word to use would be "graduated", because (as you appear to have correctly surmised) a "graduate student" is a person in graduate school (so, a master's or doctoral student).


Well, just off the cuff, I can't think of a situation where it would not sound wrong or stilted to refer to myself in past tense as a "graduated student" in/of... If you are a "graduated" student, you are a graduate, and so would use the present tense. Even when filling out a resume, for example, and actually listing your past achievements, you would still never use the term "student." You should stay in the present: I have my BS degree from____; or, I'm a graduate of____; or, I graduated from____.

  • Up for these beautiful sample sentences!
    – efkan
    Commented Sep 18, 2018 at 9:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.